Login Create Account
The Druids Prepare for Season 4
Olmstead90
I was stunned to silence. The hum of the stadium lights seemed to cut through the frigid autumn air to our ears, stinging with cold. The snow came down sparsely-- the lightest spray imaginable. Everyone was huddled together in the bleachers. I guess they had been sitting there, waiting and watching for over an hour. At least their seats had warmed up from their own heat by now, as they had watched both of the newer groups, bigger than last Season and still growing, perform. Myself, well, I stood down by where the pit was setting up, my pea-coat wrapped tight around me, my eyes poking out from between my woolen cap and the scarf tight around my neck.

Around the corner they began to emerge over the hill Croke Stadium was perched upon. One after one, the dark jade of their uniforms, holding their chrome horns at trail, or "pistol", as the boys called it, traditionally. I could see the other horns we used for the show-- the pink, orange, blue, multi-colored horns which were a special feature of the program, hidden under a blanket on a cart. As they came closer, I could begin to make out the expression on their faces-- not their eyes, though. Those were hidden beneath the brims on their helmets. They looked statuesque, confident, but most of all, ready. This was a relief-- after last night's run-through, it seemed that maybe our appointment to Div. I, the big leagues, was a mistake. There was no question about it now, though.

Seeing the Druids enter Croke Stadium, I knew they were now a Division One corps.

They set up for their last full Run through of Season 4's pre-season camps. This was an event traditionally known as "Ancestor's Night", a showing off moment for the kids so their parents knew they weren't just fluffing off their lives with the Corps. As the announcements were made, "Now entering the field, your newly UPGRADED Div. I Druids Drum & Bugle Corps!", the stadium burst with cheers. The voices were mostly Irish in origin, but many parents of the American members flew out every Season to see this moment.

The run-through was the greatest thing to come from any program I have ever worked with. The classic works of art from Pictures at An Exhibition were clear, crisp, loud, at moments soft, and every chord, every cadence, every beat seemed to echo with pride and the hope for a great Season.

When the show ended, as the stadium was washed with applause and the boys trooped the stands, I waited. Standing on a small hill a few feet away, I watched my boys come closer and closer till they approached. They began to spiral around me, until the entire corps encircled me. They were silent. My heart swelled. I loved this tradition.

"Take'em off, boys," I said, a soft smile touching the corner of my lips.

They shook their helmets off and held them at their sides. Some of the agin' out vets had warm tears on their cheeks. I couldn't suppress the soft laughter that escaped my lips.

"Howdy, fellas." he smiled, "Look out FMA, here comes the Druids Drum & Bugle Corps."
Douglas Olmstead, Druids Drum & Bugle Corps Executive Director
jrhnemo
Great article! You captured the excitement and anticipation of preseason wonderfully!