Login Create Account
Brainstorming
mellohero
Alright. After being offered a contract from the publisher for the last show I submitted, I'm starting on a new one, and I want YOU (yes, even you) to help me out.

The title: PЯOPAGANDA.

The concept: A tour de force in full Cold-War-era style. I would prefer to have this show tell a story, but I can think of no way to have it communicate that it's supposed to be kind of foreboding, as if you're not getting the full story, rather than just a heroic tale in music. Such being the case, I'm thinking of interpreting various propaganda techniques musically (with us or against us, all hail the supreme leader, etc.), though telling a story might be a better idea, if it can be done well.

Current ideas: I have an on-field warmup and scene-setter planned out and some music to go with it. I'm also thinking of including Living Colour's "Cult of Personality" in here somewhere.

And that's... really about as far as I've come. I'm looking for concept ideas, visual ideas, gimmicks, possible music selections, any idea you have is valuable.
mellohero
My current ideas involve a steady progression from the benign and normal (the "aren't we great" type of propaganda) all the way to terrifying.

Movement I will be happy, idyllic, and perhaps a little naive, the sentimental depiction of an idealized past. I'm thinking of using the Titan Symphony or the 8th Symphony by Mahler, Naive and Sentimental Music by Adams, or the first movement to Curzon's Robin Hood Suite.

Movement II will be violent and horrifying (the inverse of the first movement's "aren't we great," this one says "aren't they terrible"). I am unsure of what to use here and am open to all suggestions. Current ideas include Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, Mars by Holst, and Dinosaurs by Daniel Bukvich.

Movement III will have a leader rise from the oppressed and lead them to victory in an idealized fashion. The choreography and action will be much the same as above, but the music will be different. The same thing is done by both sides, but is presented differently because one side is right and the other wrong. No ideas of music yet.

Movement IV will see our leader completely dominant over everything, a dictator in the truest fashion. The noble cause has now become a monstrous caricature of its former self, and megalomania has taken over. The selection will include parodized versions of material in Movements III and I, framed by a driving rendition of Cult of Personality by the band Living Colour.

Ideas? Suggestions? ANYTHING?
mellohero
Bump.