Login Create Account
Memoir of a Senior Druids Member [long]
Olmstead90
December 12th, 2010 --

When I was asked to write a memoir of my final Season with the Druids, at first I didn't know if I could do it. I was under the impression they wanted some sort of novella, a first hand account of what it was like. I guess they only wanted a journal, and they said it'd be published over the FMA Press Releases. Man, that's scary. My work over the press release? I hadn't even been picked for an interview before. I wasn't even section leader. I guess I'm most worried I won't give them what they want-- a first hand account of what it is to be a Druid. The truth is, you won't know unless you do it... unless you are a Druid. But I'll try to give them what they want. Here we go.

Right now, it's mid-morning, December 12th. Like most of the other multi-Season members, I live with the Druids. I know how weird that sounds, especially to Americans. Drum Corps (even though it originated over there) seems to only be a hobby there. Here, since there are no breaks between Seasons, the big boys at the top of the Irish Athletic Arts raise enough funds through the government and merchandise and shows, to get us multi-Season members a decent paycheck. It comes to almost minimum wage, American Dollars. Lucky me, I turned 21 last week, so I get the Age-Out raise of a few Euros.

I'm a little scared. I've never known anything after I joined the Druids when I was 15, during the "Bon Voyage!" Season. I know that when the Season is over, I'll be presented my "Bachelors in Marching Music" degree... but what good is it to the outside world, I wonder?

Anyway, I live with the other vets on the 2nd story of the North wing of Boar High-- that's the nickname we gave to the boarding school the Druids bought a long time ago and uses as their HQ for Pre-Season. Today I get to see all the rookies come in from all over the world-- some interested in a single Season, others looking to age out here. Some know what the emotional price to pay to live here for their teen lives will be. Others haven't even a clue.

It's noonish now, and we're in the large BH Auditorium. Our "fearless leader" (as we call him), Mr. Orsborn, is standing on the stage talking about logistics of camp. I've heard this speech seven-hundred times now. Some of the rookies look worried-- just flown in wearing their high school band jackets, with their bags packed and stacked around the walls. I sit with my best friend, Thomas MacFarlan, a third-year vet of the guard.

I've written too much today. I need to save more for the rest of the week. Signin' off for the day.

December 15th, 2010 --

Jesus Christ. We had a rookie pass out today. Oh man, I forgot to mention, I'm assistant principal in the soprano line. Yeah, kinda lame. I was beat by a three-year vet. Either way, we had a rookie pass out during long tones today. They had to take him to the infirmary back at the school. It's about a half a mile out from the field we're rehearsing in, where we hold "Green Night" (the parent show) on the day before Tour every Season. Mr. Orsborn payed the brass a small visit during a break to warn us about the dangers of passing out, even in the cold. We've been lucky, though-- the Druids' Staff was able to get the field cleared on a day when it wasn't snowing.

We have nearly half of the show done so far. I am not allowed to let any info leak on it, but I'm just saying it's goin' to be killer.

Mrs. Orsborn even brought us cookies today for dinner. I'm starting to notice some rookies vanishing. Looks like they're finally eliminating some of the extra rookies.

December 17th, 2010 --

Today was much better than mid-week. Usually we have our rosters set by day 2, but this Season we had so many applicants we couldn't decide them all in the first day. Now, though, rehearsals are in full swing. We have the entire show down-- it's all about cleaning. Tomorrow is "Green Night", and we can only hope that it isn't goin' to snow. We've been so lucky thus-far. My own parents are coming in from Nunica, Michigan (I was with the corps when they were the Nunica Knights). I am nervous that it'll be icy and I'll trip and bomb the run-through... jeez I sure hope I don't...

December 18th, 2010 --

Tonight is the night. Right now I am writing the last page of my short journal. I am wearing my green and white uniform, my helm is sitting beside me with my soprano bugle. We're in the warm-up building by Croke Park. A cacophony of noise surrounds me. Warming up horns, hacking drums, that smack sound as rifles and flags are caught. The rookies who came in and stayed are becoming hardened... but we'll see how they stand up to the challenge of tour tomorrow. Our first stop is Florida. Some members, used to the cold, are bound to get sick. Either way, it's time for the parent show. I hope I've given the Druid big reps what they wanted. Here's to my final Season as a Druid.

Brian Aneggager, Senior Druids Member, Asst. Principal Soprano.

http://unfma.webs.com/iaa.htm
Douglas Olmstead, Druids Drum & Bugle Corps Executive Director
mceuph
This is awesome. I look forward to reading more.
Continuum (Resigned)
Infinity