Login Create Account
Power Rankings for the Deadly Dozen - Week 2
TrumpetVinny
Updated Power Rankings

With over a week of competitions burned through, it seems that the power rankings need an update. My own corps fell down, did yours?

1. Nemesis - I said Tullahoma would be number 1 as long as they kept winning. They did not. Nemesis has consistently been a full point or more higher than Tullahoma. Now the current favorite to win the championship and once again break the all time drum corps record, Nemesis is sailing forward on unnaturally high point increases.

2. Tullahoma Azure Force - They've managed to hang on, just not to first. Despite having their personal best season ever, Nemesis got ahead and stayed there. Tullahoma still might have some tricks up their sleeves, but it seems highly unlikely that they control their own fate. A slip up from Nemesis could be necessary for Tullahoma be join the elite few repeat champions.

3. Regal Regiment- Just like Tullahoma, all that's happened is a single drop in the rankings. Tullahoma and Regal are actually performing exactly as predicted, it was simply Nemesis's shocking rise that caused the pair to drop down. Look for Regal to repeat as medalling corps but like Tullahoma, I believe Regal will need help from the top 2 to even pray for their first championship.

4. Epic - Here's where it gets iffy. I had a strong case for Blue Demons, Blue Deviled Eggs, or Cornhuskers to take this spot, but I see Epic getting higher point gains more consistently than these other corps. There's a whole mess of these four corps where I believe any of them could take any of these spots. Still the only corps I believe could break into the top 3 without help is Epic, so I'll tentatively put Epic in 4th.

5. Blue Deviled Eggs - I honestly don't want them here, but their short touring schedule means I have little to work on. I'm just assuming the Top 5 streak stays strong simply because BDE seems to have become the type of corps who denies their kids a chance to perform in exchange for more practice time. Let's see if it pays off. Data insufficient to say whether or not they are capable of challenging for a medal.

6. Cornhuskers - Cornhuskers or Blue Demons here? It was difficult, but although Blue Demons have a slight edge in current scores, I think I see a tiny advantage in general point gains from Cornhuskers. It's miniscule, but I think it's there. So closely challenge these two corps are, it's hard to go either way. Cornhuskers are definitely a Top 5 worthy corps so look for them to exceed expectations.

7. Blue Demons - The first newcomer on my Power Rankings. In my defense nothing in your recent seasons would have suggested that you'd challenge my Big 6. As the newcomer, you get tossed in last. Sorry. Of these four closely matched corps, I believe Blue Demons is the most likely to score higher than I predicted. More data from BDE could place the Blue Demons a spot or two up, but this is not the case. I believe in my next power rankings, if there is one, this corps will be higher (if only because of this article driving them to do better), but on what I can observe, Blue Demons will be, with great sadness, placed in 7th.

8. Corps IBEX - I have this corps topping Falcon Regiment simply because of the rate of gain that Corps IBEX has had. I do hope it does not seem that I am negative against Falcon Regiment for constantly making them my currently ranked corps that I think should be lower, but I just see the momentum in favor of Corps IBEX.

9. Falcon Regiment - Sorry.

10. Khaki Krusaders - I have you topping Lemon Bay Jazz because I believe you have a touch more of a push than they do. Just a touch, but with a lot of season left, it's plenty for them to edge ahead.

11. The Raiders - I know shocker right? Wrong. They have a stronger score gain than many of the corps ahead of them. Perhaps if their staff was stronger they would be up with the Big 6 (7 now?).

12. Lemon Bay Jazz - I believe that even though other groups have more momentum, Lemon Bay Jazz has a strong enough lead to slip into finals. I think that it will be close, but I am fairly confident in Lemon Bay Jazz taking this slot.

Corps that are worthy of finals, but I just don't think will make the cut: (It's going to be a tight pack in this area)
Yukon Gold - I honestly do think these guys deserve to be there, but I see them falling just a touch short)

Cul-de-sac Cadets - My bold prediction implodes in my face here. Pick it up man! We need more [unspecified] corps!

Cannelton Sound - Going to fall just a breath short I think but I see them in 14th or 15th come the end of the season.
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
BlueDevils
You know, every time you do this I'm going to feel like I have to make the time to write an article.

Fine. I guess I'll have to make a new article this weekend. Are you happy?? =P
DC: Blue Demons Corps
BlueDevils
But, thanks for the upvote. ;)
mceuph
I like how everybody gets a nice paragraph except 9. Cool.
Continuum (Resigned)
Infinity
TrumpetVinny
They had some mention in Corps IBEX's review. Thought it went hand in hand with it so I didn't really have much to say. I didn't really think Khaki was going to catch up so there wasn't much left to say.
TxRaider13
Well now I'm making headlines on here, and thank you for that.....Now if only my other corps the Bucs could get their heads out their ass and make way...But on a positive note 7 of the 8 groups I control currently would be in finals and 6 of 7 are in Div I with 3 of 4 being first years in Div I so that's a plus... None the less I like these hope the two that write these keep doing it.
SaxophoneMan
Could someone do something like this for Division III? I would just like to see their opinions on that division.
Member of CLASS; Member of ENCORE; Member of PERC
TrumpetVinny
The thing is, I actively follow D1 (because I'm in it and competitive at the top) so it only took me 40 or so minutes to write this cause I already had been observing it for a while and I've seen how most of the directors operate. But D3, I've never even been a part of. I imagine it'd be several hours of research to make a good opinion. I may watch how they fluctuate for a week or so, but we'll see. No promises.
gcurrier
great review again...i do have to laugh a bit at "unnaturally high point increases" and "shocking rise" LOL REALLY??? lol It doesnt seem all that shocking for a corps who has like half of the Division I titles lol
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
TrumpetVinny
I consider any point increase greater than 1 per day to be unnatural :P
FinalBlitzV2
Then in unnatural :)
Practice doesn't make perfect....it makes you better...
FinalBlitzV2
Then in unnatural :)
TrumpetVinny
I find it more unnatural when your score is as high as Nemesis's is because theoretically it should be harder to earn points.
mdmackowiak
Yeah for being a part of the "unnatural" club!
Epic Drum & Bugle Corps
Div. III Silver Medalist x1
Div I Bronze Medalist x6
Div. I Silver Medalist x5
Div. I Gold Medalist x2

Euphoria
Div. III Gold Medalist x1
Div. II Gold Medalist x1
FinalBlitzV2
@Saxophone im probably going to do something for D3....once i get information.....when i get bakc home
SaxophoneMan
Ok, that works

Member of CLASS; Member of ENCORE; Member of PERC
gcurrier
its not the only thing about me unnatural *rim shot* seriously I tried something I haven't before--seems to be working
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
cire
Those silly Eggs... not going to any shows
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
BlueDevils
Those silly Eggs, at level 0.
hostrauser
Hah! I just noticed that. Cire broke the game, nice. :-)

Yep, the battle for that last Finals spot is going to be brutal. I'm hoping Yukon Gold can surge in, but I wouldn't be surprised to finish 13th or 14th.
FMA v1: 9 Golds, 12 Silvers, 8 Bronzes
FMA v2: See profile