Login Create Account
My 2013 DCI Finals predictions BET
cire
I am making a bet for the 2013 DCI Finals - in regards to the other thread "2013 DCI Finals predictions". Yes, I am putting my top 5 (and one 6th place) placement record on the line because I feel my prediction is that strong.

How strongly do YOU feel about your prediction?

My history:
I have been following DCI since 1995, and I marched Blue Devils 1996-1999. My age out was 2002 but joined the military. I also taught at a DCA corps in 2006 and 2007. I correctly predicted BD's placement from 1996-2001 (I had BD at 1st in 2002). I am about 90% correct with my DCI top 3 placement predictions each year since then.

My prediction:
Blue Devils will win in 2013 and CC will not.

Why BD?
Blue Devils have been in the top 4 since 1975.. and only ONE top 5th place and only SIX 4th places since then... meaning they placed in the top three 31 times. Their staff is one of the best in the activity and have for the most part been teaching with the corps for many years, some as far back as the 70s. Their show design is the true epitome of Art and nobody in this activity can come close to the depth and design that the Blue Devils do each year. While I and a lot of people may not like every single one of their shows, to argue that fact would be ignorant. The BD staff not only has the knowledge but also the experience to get the corps where it needs to be on Finals night. They peak at Finals, not 2 weeks before or 3 days before. They know how to motivate the members and to keep the members at their best state physically and mentally. Yes, the members ARE there to win, but at that competitive level NOBODY is there just for the hell of it, or "to make the crowd happy". You are there win.. This may be different from every other corps, but then again NO other corps has the winning/placement reputation that the Blue Devils do and are expected to repeat. Blue Devils have the talent, the show, the experience and the desire to win and it is theirs to win. Basically, look at the recaps throughout this season.. it is all there, black and white, I don't need to repeat it here.

Why not Crown?
Crown is a great corps, they are (to my knowledge) the only corps that jumped from Div 2/3 or Open Class and actually be competitive in Div 1/World Class. They are VERY talented and have a great hornline.. but their show design (staff experience) is weak and their drumline is their Achilles heel. Many corps (including BD) has lost finals because of their drumline or another section not being able to pull their weight. CC basically needs to fire their drum staff and bring in some new talent.. otherwise it will always be an uphill battle for them. The only way CC will win is the drum judge does not show (happened already) or.. well that's about it. It's too late to clean their line and every judge knows it. CC WAS winning early in the season until the judges saw what the corps was really doing.. and that won't fly this far into the season.. and the farther along the season goes, BD will pull ahead and everyone else will catch up and some might over take CC. I believe DCI wants CC to win, it will be great for the activity and the corps.. almost everyone wants to see them win, and they WOULD be winning right now - they might even be undefeated - if it wasn't for their drumline. Basically, CC's show is a very good marching band show, unfortunately for them this is drum corps. CC needs to realize this and stop bringing in high school drumline talent.. and PLEASE stop the "purple pants band" crap. This isn't marching band.

Short Version: BD wants to win and knows how to win. CC does not have the experience/talent to finish off their season.

My wager:
I will bet against ANYONE here who that 2013 will go to BD and NOT CC.
* If I LOSE this bet, I will NOT rehearse AT ALL in Season 29, effectively killing my top 5 (and one 6th place) record.
* If I WIN this bet, YOU will not rehearse AT ALL in Season 29.
* If someone besides BD or CC wins, NEITHER of us will rehearse AT ALL in Season 29.
* In the case of a 1st place BD/CC tie, then this bet is NULLED and VOIDED.

* no rehearsing, but event hosting and campaigning is allowed

This bet is open to anyone in FMA who strongly believes that CC will win. If you accept this bet and you believe CC will win, just put your user name and marching group names below confirming your acceptance. I will honor my bet regardless of the outcome and by accepting you are saying that you will as well. Multiple people can take on my bet. How many will? I'm guessing probably about the same number as the percentage is that CC will win DCI this year :)
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
cire
no takers? Doesn't anyone believe in Crown that much to go in with me?
kmarti6
I have a feeling you feel strongly about this. I just wanna say anything can happen who knows that line could light up finals night and cause crown to squeak by. One thing I may point out is nothing is set in stone I kinda feel we could have another 2008 situation on our hands. Now if you would let me bet my B account I will totally do this.
Head director of the Hornets,

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis
cire
Nope.. has to be your main account :P and yeah, anything can happen! but isn't that part of the fun with betting?

So, are you in? :D
TrumpetVinny
Considering I predict a BD win as well, this bet is not one I would take.
KStove is a jerk for breaking my records.
kmarti6
Sorry I cant risk it.... you present a very good case and frankly I sadly agree with you... I may not like it but your argument is very logical. I wish we would get newer corps in the mix next season groups like the Troopers or the colts who I thought were totally underrated this season.

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis
cire
Thanks Kmart. and I agree. New competition is a good thing. I can't even imagine what DCI would be like today if Star was still around, or Phantom and SCV were more consistent.
kmarti6
I know I mean even if the bottom 4 changed around a little the only place we have really seen new groups in the past few years is 12th.

JShuler
I'll be brave. I really think that Crown has some new stuff that will be pretty awesome. I was also considering taking S29 off anyways to campaign.

JShuler:

Hoosier Regiment
Hoosier Pride
Hoosier Pride
Hoosier Rhythm
cire
JShuler, if you were taking 29 off anyways, then your bet will apply to S30.. sound good?
JShuler
Fine. Let's go Crown!
Stradivarius
I vote Crown over BD. Crown got smashed in Buffalo with their percussion score. Yet they still tied for 1st. That says a lot. Every other caption is up to par or better. I think that as soon as the percussion starts pulling their weight (yes I think they do have time) it will be no competition. If they can hold 1st place with a crappy drumline I think that Crown's future looks bright.

Stradivarius:

Redcoats
The Elites
National Guard
Impact Percussion
12 years later
kmarti6
Why did you both take the bet?!?!?!? Now if cire wins we lose two for the price of 1!

cire
muwahahahaha :)

Deal is sealed. Anyone else?

Strad.. I think this year is really going to come down to what judges are on working on Saturday.. there are very biased judges out there and it shows (every year).
FastForward
Looks like BD is heading for the Dirt Nap in 2013 ... So Sad ... Really !!!
Corps: Spectrum Force
Band: Full Spectrum
Guard: Light Spectrum
Drumline: Rythmic Spectrum

BoD for MAoMA and NWD
Founder of CGA
Director of FastForward, Inc.
Stradivarius
Cire, CC has never won before and the judges do want them to win! The bias will probably decide who wins this year. I still think Crown will pull through, but I doubt they will win by as much as BD did last year. My guess would be withing half a point or so.
12 years later
Stradivarius
And Kmarti, we haven't lost yet! cire did say there has been a few errors in his predictions, there very may well be more in the future!
12 years later
JShuler
Let's hope that there are a few errors! I can't wait for Saturday when they get down to the Top 5. This will be my first DCI show that I've been to, but I have been following it all year on the Fan Network, so I will be so nervous if BD and Crown are the last two left.
cire
Well, tonight was the toughest judging panel that BD has to see. I firmly believe that this years winner will be decided by the judges.. CC and BD could both easily win - CC would have it in the bag IF they had a decent drumline..

However Saturday's judging panel (based on this years scores) tells me that BD has the best shot at winning and CC's drumline is going to get raped by Prosperie and they are going to lose.
JShuler
Looks like you'll be having some fun campaigning S29 at the moment!