Login Create Account
Commentator and Moderator Mass Email
Nakoda
I think commentators and moderators should be allowed to do mass emails to all players on the site at once...here's why Jhawk and I tried to do this NCAA bracket with the site and I get not everyone's into sports but Jhawk is trying so hard to get more people into the forums. ANYWAYS there are 904 participating players as of now and only 10 have applied for the bracket challenge that's just sad lol.

My point is if they had the ability to do mass email or even just league wide emails we could host things like a league versus league competition without it being such a hassle. Or fun things like a FMA NCAA bracket challenge. Just saying this has been brought up a lot and is such a good idea

i think getting more people involved will get more traffic and more donations because getting involved may lead to finding a rival they want to beat each season

"*slowly strips off your clothes.*" - Cire

Kiowa's 2nd account.

#Louisville #Cardinals #L1C4
Nakoda
anyone who agrees should say so in this thread so alex knows its something we need

Kiowa's 2nd account.

HrryCrry5
I'd agree but I think it should only be moderators so there not much mass mailed lol
Drum Corps- Big Blue
Marching Band- Marching Band
Colorguard- Flashing Lights
Drumline- Little Drummer Boys
Nakoda
cire is the only active moderator knowing him he wouldnt use it commentators too because ur supposed to gey ppl active in the forums with ur commentaries

Kiowa's 2nd account.

Stradivarius
It'd be cool. Would need restrictions of course but it is a nice thought.
12 years later
Whiskers14
Yea but If cire is the only active moderator than we can make Jhawk the main seat for the commentators and he will have permission to send mass mail.
Whiskers14- Founder of G.E.D.C.
- Div II Drum Corps U.K.D.C.
- Div II Marching Band Kentucky Massie (D II bronze)
- Div II Color guard Falcon Fanfare
- Div II Drumline Highland Drumline
Jhawk
I don't have tons of time right now. I pretty much have time to log in use my points and maybe check the forums every now and then.
Ivory Brigade
Nakoda
i know but itd still be useful for other commentators

Kiowa's 2nd account.

Stradivarius
This would be used maybe once or twice all season.
12 years later
Nakoda
right not something used every day of each season just to announce league vs league competitions or the parade thing (which you could if to many people applied pick names at random)

Kiowa's 2nd account.

cire
I do think mailing is needed - however not for mass mailing of non-FMA related items. I think there should be mass emails for:

- Forum replies if subscribed
- League notifications if subscribed
- Important FMA news and monthly newsletters if subscribed

but not for things like show comments or pushing non-FMA brackets on other sites (sorry Nakoda). That stuff could possibly go in a monthly newsletter sent or approved by Alex

So to recap, no.. commentators and moderators should NOT have mass emailing permissions. League owners to their own league possibly.. Alex, yes.. FMA yes for certain notifications
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Stradivarius
That sounds about right
12 years later
saxamattone
agreed with Cire.

I don't want to receive mass emails about anything unless it's something important straight from Alex. I can read about the other stuff in the forums...if I want to!

CLASS Board of Directors

Carolina Royals - 16X Division 1 World Champions (DC)
Whiskers14
And if the founder of every league can send mass mail to all the members in their league, but only to the members and BoD members ONLY
Whiskers14- Founder of G.E.D.C.
- Div II Drum Corps U.K.D.C.
- Div II Marching Band Kentucky Massie (D II bronze)
- Div II Color guard Falcon Fanfare
- Div II Drumline Highland Drumline
Nakoda
the point i was making was to get more ppl involved (which leads to more new members if you think about it) not about the bracket that was an example i was using..... but whatever guess its an idea everyone is against

Kiowa's 2nd account.

cire
The site is about the game. There was a time when there wasn't even a forum and the game went fine without it. People join and play regardless... having interesting conversations and discussions will get people involved in the forum. Sending out a lot of mass emails will make people unsubscribe and get fed up with the site.
Nakoda
one or two emails a season to announce league vs league comps is not a bunch.....but ok u all missed my point im not gonna argue

Kiowa's 2nd account.

cire
I think league owners should be able to send out mass emails to the league members.

Mail is also very taxing on a server.. you have to deal with sending the mail, keeping it clean, fast, dealing with spam, making sure your site isn't flagged as a spam site.. etc. There are other alternatives as 3rd party emailers (like what Craigslist uses) but they typically cost money and is just one more thing you need to program. I'm guessing Alex is pretty busy right now so something like mailing features is probably a very low priority for him.

I do wish he would open up site maintenance (programming wise) to me since I'm a full time PHP programmer, but it's his site.. so not much I can do on that end except offer to help.
Nakoda
probs cuz he'd feel obligated to pay u...i would feel the same

Kiowa's 2nd account.

cire
No not at all.. more likely because it is his code and he doesn't want anyone messing with it (or critiquing it). It would also be putting a LOT of trust into whoever was working on it because they would not only have access to your code, but also the database.. and even if it wasn't direct access to the code and database, they could still take the code and clone it for their own use.

The best way to do it would it would be put the code under a repository (svn/git/etc) and then whoever is editing it could push their changes the repository and the Alex would be able to review it before launching it.

But in the end it all comes down to the reasons I mentioned above - I completely understand though I wouldn't let anyone else work on HelpMeMarch.