Login Create Account
Moving Up To Fast
Kiwidrummer
Wow, wasn't really expecting this. In our first season,36, Aftershock NZ moved up 4 places to squeek into finals, finishing 12th in Div III Drum Corps, still 14 points down from the winner. Black Beat NZ, our drumline, moved up one spot from semis to finish the season in 10th Div III Drumline, 10 points off the winner. We were actually looking forward to having competitive groups this season, making an impact and seriously challenging for the title, in Div III, a reasonable goal for a second season organisation. Well, divisions just announced, both groups moved up to Div II. WE WERE FLOORED BY THIS. Our kids are young, the staff fresh, and yes, they are working hard in preseason, as any serious contender should. Considering the groups that moved up to Div II, and those that remained in Div II from last season, we now have to scrap our show and start over, just to feel competitive. A move like this could fold an organisation who is only building their foundation. We are strong, have motivation, and are determined. But are we ready for such a big step?
Jim Helsel
Aftershock NZ Productions
Aftershock NZ: CLASS
Aftershock NZ Indoor Percussion: PERC (Founder)
Aftershock NZ PAS: ENCORE
Pandemonium NZ: LEGS
MrsRomo
Just keep up consistent rehearsals and you will be fine. I wasn't able to medal in DIII but did well in DII.
MrsRomo
Director
Alohomora Arts
---
Order of the Phoenix - Div I DC - ICE - Founder
Dumbledore's Army - Div I MB
Veela's - Div I CG - FLAG - Founder
Death Eaters - Div I DL - DRUMS BoD
Aaron0316
I know how you feel Kiwi. My drum corps went from Division 3 to Division 1?! :-D
Aaron Sickmeier, director of......

Dark Knights - (FAME, original founder)

Marching Elite - (ENCORE! original founder)

Dark Knights Guard

Equilibrium
Kiowa
i medaled in DIII lol
#LosLynx

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but world War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" - Einstein
Jhawk
I medaled in Div III as well, but I only medaled in Div II after I fell down from Div I

But really Div II isn't as bad as you would think. If you kept everything the same you would have ended at 24th in Div. II last season out of 64. That might have been one of the reasons why you got bumped up. Just improve your staff and practice more often and you should do well.
Ivory Brigade
cire
If it helps ease your pain... I've never medalled in Div 2 or Div 3
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Ywh648
I never medal anything before and this season is the 2nd time in D1 but the first time i was in D1 i didnt compete so yeah😅 and Season 36 i was in D2 but everyone's scores are higher than the last time I competed in D2 xD i could have medaled D2 on Season 36 if the scores arent so high 😂
cire
I'm sure everyone could have medaled if the scores weren't so high.... lol
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Ywh648
U can actually compare D2 on Season 36 and the other Seasons before 36 xD a really big difference
VincentBach
Yeah first place was about 8 to 10 points higher than previous season's 1st place corps. Second place was about 3 to 5 points higher than the corps to finish first in previous seasons.
B Account to Stradivarius
Stradivarius
Oh and 3rd and 4th would have won by about 2-3 points on average based on previous seasons' scores.
12 years later
Ywh648
Yeppp so i could have gotten a medal xD if the scores arent so high as that xD
Jhawk
Well 2nd last season would have still gotten 2nd the season I won Div. 2
Ivory Brigade
Kiwidrummer
Well, we're at the end of the 4th week leading into Championships and Finals week, and to my pleasant surprise, my groups are doing better than I could have ever anticipated for being in their true 2nd season. Aftershock NZ is holding down 3rd in DII drum corps. The top 2 were relegated from DI the previous season, while the remainder were finalists in DIII the previous season. Black Beat NZ is sitting in 5th in DII drumline after a slow start. While we are gunning for medals, not too sure about the possibility of DI for these two groups next season. We will practice hard during preseason as we are true competitors, though looking at the powerhouses in DI, our numbers just don't stack up.

Our two newest groups, Pandemonium NZ (color guard) and Aftershock NZ Performing Arts School (marching band), are both in 1st DIII. Pandemonium NZ is currently undefeated, while Aftershock NZ Performing Arts School's only losses have come at the hands of Momentum Cadets. A late season surge has seen us finally overtake them, though either one could claim the gold. Because of their strength, I can only hope they don't move up 2 divisions next season, one is plenty enough.
Jim Helsel
Jhawk
See you can never count yourself out. Some of us end up with life getting in the way and our scores really suffer from it.
Ivory Brigade
Kiwidrummer
Understandable. I've missed a whole day Friday and more than likely tomorrow (Monday here). I'm finding practice is everything. I make my money through comps, and my influence through leveling up. Still not too sure how your challenge levels, balanced with the quality of members auditioned, actually affects your score in the long run. I know I set much higher levels than I did in previous season in DIII. That was my first. Moving to DII caught me by surprise, though I think the levels I chose and the fact that I did practice during preseason week left me better prepared. In drum corps, we were sitting in 20-30 something overall, finishing 9th out of 12 for our first comp this season. Still don't think I'll catch ya though. While the gap is decreasing, ever so slightly, I just don't think there is enough time. Though last year one of my groups jumped 4 places to make finals.
Jim Helsel
ToastyCar
Actually, my drum corp has never been in DI. In fact, I am pretty positive that this is my first actual season in D2. My only positive is that I fund raised quite a bit over past seasons in order to help me compete.

Good luck though for the rest of this season!
Red Lightning Regiment | D2 World Champion (Season 37) & 2x Medalist
Atlantic Storm | 2x Medalist
Arctic Blast Winterguard | 1x Medalist
Twisted Tornadoes Drumline | 3x Medalist
Kiwidrummer
Oh, my fault Toasty. I got bad intel from my scouts. Yah, fundraising and influence. I see a lot of people do that. I'm gonna try the hard way...earn them with practice. Personally, I feel a director should gain more influence through performance on the field, but nothing is perfect.

Yes, best of luck for finals. You seem to be in control of your own destination. Would be cool if I could catch up to Ivory Brigade, but think I'll need a miracle for that to happen.
Jim Helsel
ToastyCar
Well don't get me wrong. I never had the intention to fundraise constantly. Usually what happens would be that life got in the way 1/4th into the season so I decided that competing alone was a lost cause. :)

Also do not think that I am confident with the possible results of finals. After your 1.1 score jump, you have got my corp very nervous.
Red Lightning Regiment | D2 World Champion (Season 37) & 2x Medalist
Atlantic Storm | 2x Medalist
Arctic Blast Winterguard | 1x Medalist
Twisted Tornadoes Drumline | 3x Medalist
Kiwidrummer
Haha....yes, keep your eye on me. Serioisly, your guys will maintain their composure. You should hit 90 on finals night. I have 5 1/2 points to gain. I think I may run a day short. We do have a few minor changes to make, hopefully to bring up our effect scores a bit.

I know how life can get in the way, so you change strategy to best deal with the situation. I'm only in my second season, so still learning a few of the ropes. For now I rely on my shows for income and leveling up for influence. I've been blessed with a very creative staff and a talented bunch of performers. To be honest, I never expected to be this competitive in DII. I do dread next season as I see a move to DI coming, but hey, I need to get through this last week first.
Jim Helsel