Login Create Account
DCI 2019
gcurrier
I wanted to start a thread about the season from competitive and show aspect. who got to the movies last night? I know none of the corps dissapointed at all--I think Boston got me the most pumped but man Crown hit you right from the start! Bluecoats had some very cool elements but honestly were just more loud than anything to me--guard and percussion got pretty lost. was glad to see top 3 so tight!
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
blobfish90
True I am a Cadets fan and follower and I am NOT impressed (I thought Blue stars were better,) they aren't as impactful as they once were. Boston was fantastic and Crown was phenomenal with the dynamics and drill . But Bluecoats were pretty O.K. VERY LOUD Not as much dynamics but O.K. Drill
Blobfish90 Director of
Atlantic Volt DBC (Est. S75)
37 Liberators(Est.S75)
Emerald Swift (Est. S77)
Nutmeg Rangers MB (Est. S75)
gcurrier
I pretty much agree with you. After watching the whole weekend I thought Mandarin (no I know they won't win) Crown, Vanguard and Boston were the standouts. Im a real Bluecoats fan but honestly so far I'm meh about this show. Blue Devils I thought were horrible. Same follow the leader drill but the music was way off where they usually are hence the 3rd place in brass! Im not even sure they will medal this year, so far they shouldn't.

blobfish90
I have a question, what happened to drum corps cadences when they step on and off the field, I like watching old videos and they always had them but now these days they don't. Do you guys know what happened to the awesome beats that made them more intimidating?
Blobfish90 Director of
37 Liberators(Est.S75)
Emerald Swift (Est. S77)
CTrain
I think the step ons/step offs were sort of phased out by many groups due to the amount of props they may have, or pre-show numbers. the more props the higher the risk of a time penalty or, some other penalty, so to save time some groups are just:
beginning, "Time to go on? Let's get this stuff out here and get to our spots"
End, "Aight, let's get all this stuff off quickly (which is the nice way of saying it) so the other group can get all their stuff on" or "get on the field" or something.

Also, Open Class, since BDB and SCVC aren't going to world champs, that'll make things interesting in Open. It's likely that all the world class groups will appear in Semis, they all started strong, but I think it may be too early to tell, we still have six open class groups yet to debut.
OAS, AAS, LLS. RTN. F.S.
Tennessee... Where your thermometer and calendar often disagree.
FMA HoF Member
theamazing1
I’m usually a bloo guy, but bd takes the cake for me this year.
Tyler Brown
Red Kingsmen FAME BoD
The Duts
Golden Goats Marching Band ENCORE BoD
Scorch Color guard
gcurrier
Allentown coming up this weekend! Very sad this year I won't be there in person but watching on flomarching. Anyone else going or watching online

StampedeStetson
I will be watching online!
Director of Stetson Marching Arts, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Calgary Stetson Showband (ENCORE BoD)
Canada Corps (CLASS BoD)
Alberta X Winterguard (LEGS BoD)
Maple Leaf Percussion (DLTG BoD)
blobfish90
Watching online, but I have bad Wifi so Not really good graphics :(. But its better than nothing!! I wish I went there since I am only 3 hours away
Blobfish90 Director of
37 Liberators(Est.S75)
Emerald Swift (Est. S77)
TheHuman
I'm going Saturday! Excited to see the Crown v Crusaders v Cavies!!!
TheHuman
Vano Highschool CG (Est. 65)
Opal HS Marching Knights(Est. 65)
Ferox (Est. 65)
Hartford Sound (Est. 66)
SunshineDoodles
I'll be watching on FLO!! Already got my Big, Loud and Live ticket for the Prelims on the 8th! Anyone else doing the Big, Loud and Live in theatres?
Wondermint Rainbow Performance Ensemble (Est. S - 74)
Wondermint Rainbow Cavaliers (Est. S - 75)
Wonderment Rainbow Silks and Spinners (Est. - 75)
Wonderment Rainbow Rhythm (Est. - 76)
CTrain
BD had me sold on that opening eerie voiceover from Oedipus, and that tap shoe break is straight up fire. Screamers for days
Bloo got that “Come Together/I want you (she’s so heavy)” part which gets me every time, as well as their whole show, and now they top it off with “Hey Jude”.

I still think it’s anyone’s game for the title, even throwing Vanguard into the title possibility, one never knows, with brass likely going to crown and guard to Boston after looking at the scores from the regionals.
OAS, AAS, LLS. RTN. F.S.
Tennessee... Where your thermometer and calendar often disagree.
FMA HoF Member
atlap7b
I can't wait to watch Prelims in theaters! I'm hoping the Bluecoats can pull ahead of the Blue Devils and win but you never know with them. It seems like its just impossible to predict where anybody is going to land now.
Boston Crusaders
New England Scouts
Affliction
Boston United
StampedeStetson
I watched the Eastern Classic tonight! All of my favorite shows were tonight, it's a real shame most of them are non-finalists.

I also remembered that a FloMarching subscription gives you access to all FloSports websites and found clips of my marching band performing on FloRodeo.
Director of Stetson Marching Arts, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Calgary Stetson Showband (ENCORE BoD)
Canada Corps (CLASS BoD)
Alberta X Winterguard (LEGS BoD)
Maple Leaf Percussion (DLTG BoD)
TheHuman
Last night was really good! Crown was really on point, they were definitely the clear winners. Tbh, I was pretty surprised Cavs were ahead of Crusaders by a decent margin. From where I was sitting (near the endzone) visually Crusaders were a little messy, and music had some areas where it wasn't the cleanest. But it was a really good show, I would have put them ahead of Cavs.
TheHuman
Ferox (Est. 65)
Hartford Sound (Est. 66)
sia98aidil98
Like Crown in the past, Crusaders has percussion holding them back unfortunately. Cavs have an all-rounded package, strong in all the captions this season. Wouldn't be surprised if they move past Crown
Re:Sound Collective - 2x D1 Bronze, 1x D2&D3 Champ
Excelsior Winds - 3x D1 Silver, 2x D1 Bronze
Antiphony - 2x D1 Silver, 1x D2 Champ
conNexus - 2x D1 Silver, 1x D1 Bronze
TheHuman
Championships is starting! Any predictions?
For the top 6-
1.Bluecoats
2.Blue Devils
3.Crown
4.SCV
5.BAC
6.Cavaliers
TheHuman
Ferox (Est. 65)
Hartford Sound (Est. 66)
blobfish90
I feel like cavaliers will be 5th
Blobfish90 Director of
37 Liberators(Est.S75)
Emerald Swift (Est. S77)
ChrisRohn
I really wanted one of the shows to stand out for me this year. I couldn't stop watching SCV on repeat last year, but this year I'm just not really feeling it. I love the drill in Blue Knights and Crown. The samples in BAC ruin the show for me. I like Bluecoats but I feel like something's missing. Cavaliers are okay but something's missing there too (probably the uniforms). I don't know. And the Cadets - they're too staged this year. I hear the music, and I imagine drill that should be happening, but they're too busy standing on the bridge. I'm already ready for next year and this year isn't finished yet.

Detroit Parks & Recreation Department
blobfish90
Thats all true(especially the cadets even though I am a fan of them, they are just TERRIBLE this year), but the show that is REALLY REALLY good I think is the Spartans, that is an AWESOME show!!
Blobfish90 Director of
37 Liberators(Est.S75)
Emerald Swift (Est. S77)