Login Create Account
2013 DCI Finals predictions?
kmarti6
Ya I still feel like it will be put on that level due to this being their first win. Still really wish that I had been able to see SPARTACUS live, that was the show that got me into drum corps in the first place.
Head director of the Hornets,

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis
cire
I wasn't that impressed with it personally, but that was the last finals I was able to attend. I liked it more than Cadets though.. LOVED the first half of BD's show that year
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
IMcomJosh
Crown's show this year didn't have the same audience friendliness that Spartacus had but it had two things going for it. An insane and incredible Brass line (which they fully deserved the perfect score in Brass at finals) and several years of coming very close to winning but had not yet won with many people wanting an uncontested new champion since 92. What both shows had in common was that people wanted a Corps to beat BD. Every league (MLB, College hoops, whatever) has a group that everyone loves to hate. BD just has that distinction.

Mind you, I've not really cared for BD's shows the past few years but I actually enjoyed this years show quite a bit and found it to be their most solid show in at least 4 or 5 years. The props were still retarded imo but the overall musicality and visual was the most audience friendly recently. That being said, I still think Crown deserved the win this year. I would also like to point out that Crown was placed back in 6th again in finals in percussion.

Here is how I would have liked to see finals go down.
1. Crown
2. BD
T3. Cadets
T3. SCV
T5. PR
T5. Bluecoats
T7. Madison
T7. Boston
9. BK
10. Cavies
11. Spirit
12. Blue Stars

You may think that's a lot of ties but it could very well have happened too seeing how close they were all season too. Plus that would have been one crazy finish too! Final thought, Troopers show is by far my favorite 13th place show. The only one that I would consider challenging that would be Magic of Orlando's Muddy Water Blues. It was a great year with some great shows! Now, onto band season and BOA to which I say, Go Indiana! :-D
Regal Regiment (CLASS) 4XBronze 3XSilver 4XGold
Marching Lords (UNSP) 4XBronze 5XSilver 5XGold
Nobles of Grace (UNSP) 4X Bronze 7XSilver 1X Gold
Drumming Imperials (UNSP) 2X Bronze 5X Silver 7XGold
EuphoniumBuHao
I'm from the great state of Texas and that last sentiment is a big no no. :p i marched with the Woodlands and was beat by Carmel at Nationals in '11... we had been 3rd prelims and semis.. then something happened and went total TrumpetVinny and got 4th... Texas will dominate this year.
cire
IMcom that was a good show for Tragic.. my exgf marched guard there that year.. her mom flew out to Finals that year to watch her and didn't realize until half way through that Magic didn't make finals lol.. she ended up marching Cadets 99-01 after that.
jaydub
@Euphonium... "Uninvited" - loved that show! Saw it only once at Grand Nats. One of my all-time fav of 2011. Couldn't stop talking about it for months after. And enjoy watching the video now and again.
S28 - DII Silver Medalist
S27 - DIII Gold Medalist
S20 - DIII Gold Medalist
EuphoniumBuHao
Jaydub, thanks! It was a really fun show to put together! We had to hold chairs moving in 6/8 time @ 180 and I can't tell you how many people tripped over themselves during rehearsal. I'm glad you enjoyed it! This year's show will best 2011!
IMcomJosh
And the war between IN and TX rages on ;) haha. If I were a betting man though, I'd say Marcus is the favorite to win this year so far. I have the utmost respect for TX bands though. :) I've got to say that probably my favorite show Woodlands did was Hide and Seek. Funny story about that though is that I detested it when I first saw it because I thought "Holy ugly too many props Batman!" but as I listened to the show more, it just grew on me more and more. I sadly was never part of a program that marched in BOA despite the fact that the group is basically on the same level as Carmel, LC, and Avon. It's a long story as to why they no longer do BOA though. In a nutshell though, the popular rumor is that the director holds a grudge against BOA in a judging tabulation error that put them from 4th in finals to 10th when they said they would fix it but didn't.
cire
A lot of people don't like BOA.
corndogshuffle
I have to admit I'm not a fan of it. Many of the groups are obviously capable of great performances but it feels like a lot of smoke and mirrors to me.

Of course Virginia (particularly Northern Virginia) is much more conservative when it comes to marching band than a lot of places. I just have a hard time watching a lot of BOA shows.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
22x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-120
IMcomJosh
True. And I can understand the various complaints about it. However, I find it far more accurate in terms of judging than USSBA or whatever they are calling it these days where every band doesn't score below a 90 it seems like. Yeah, there are plenty of politics but then what circuit doesn't have that these days. Plus, I find it quite entertaining as I enjoy theatrical shows....as long as I can understand them (looking at you Broken Arrow) ;)
EuphoniumBuHao
Huh, people not liking BOA bands is a first to me. Can anyone tell me reasons why?
kmarti6
Woodwinds?
Head director of the Hornets,

Season 23 Division 3 Finalist, Season 24 Division 2 Finalist, Season 25 Division 2 Silver , Season 26 D2 Bronze, Season 27 6th D2, Season 28 Bronze D2, 13x D1 finalis