Login Create Account
DCI 2014
TeamFrenchToast
I have to agree with the above sentiment about the Cadets, I'm just not that big into their style. When was their Christmas show?
Wolverines (CLASS)
Rock Creek Marching Band
Zarathrustra
I'm not a Cadets fan, but the numbers show that they're an outstanding corps. I didn't really like This I Believe when they first did it, but it grew on me over time. Like them or not, (just like BD) they're a contender every year for that top spot. I've been a loyal Vanguard fan since about 2003. I can't tell you how excited I am to see their recent success. I hope it results in a championship and soon.
I am the one who knocks!
Stradivarius
It was 2012 lol I got to see the entire finals weekend live at Lucas Oil Stadium.
12 years later
cire
I went to Finals the year Phantom won. Total BS.

I also went to an Apple store when I was there.. asked them for a car charger for the iPhone they were like woah what is that? Like they've never see an iPhone.. they said they don't sell anything for it there. wtf. lol

I also went to a drive through for some food.. the guy taking orders said "yo, whatcha want?" i was like wtf..
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Stradivarius
lol that'd make my mom explode on them if they did that to her. She hates it when people talk like that in general, let alone a drive though during your shift.
12 years later
KStove
I feel like if you truly "hate" any corps, you're doing it wrong.
Stradivarius
Haha there is definitely some truth in that
12 years later
TeamFrenchToast
I never meant that I hated them, just that their shows in general don't appeal as much to me as other corps. They're always a terrific ensemble.
Wolverines (CLASS)
Rock Creek Marching Band
stylern
Someone mentioned hating Cadet's 12.25 show earlier in this thread, which I found funny because literally all I've been listening to for the past two weeks is the last minute and a half of that show. So awesome.

As for 2014 I just want to see another really solid top 12. There wasn't a single show last year on Finals night that I didn't love in some way. Awesome year for drum corps.

Also, Bluecoats take the gold on finals night with a score of 100.00
Drum Corps: Glory Cadets
Marching Band: Falcon Marching Band

i love music
Stradivarius
Hahaha I would love to see that. I mean my corps is a sentiment to them in a way lol
12 years later
cire
Hoppy: All right team, we need to come up with next years show
Team: How about something exciting!
Team: How about some fun and enjoyable!
Hoppy: I was thinking something like Christmas
Team: Yeah, but we could do something that would make the crowd go crazy for us!
Team: How about something that really shows off the guard and the hornline?
Hoppy: Let's do something about Christmas
Team: I'm not sure that would be a good show
Team: We will probably have absolutely no chance of winning
Hoppy: Alright it's settled, we are doing a Christmas show.
Hoppy: Good meeting team!

6 months later somewhere on Livejournal...
OMG why are we losing!!?? How come nobody likes our show! I put so much effort into this group and they should be recognized by the judges! Does nobody like Christmas? My entire staff assured me this would be a great show! Oh god I hate the South. Judges are so mean! My wife hates me! My life sucks! I can't hire anyone! Why can't we win!? Oh well, 4 months left until next year! Things are finally starting to look up in my life!!
Stradivarius
^pretty much lol
12 years later
Jhawk
My problem with the Cadets was the fact that they tried to make the Door show sound like it was the first ever done by them and that they are so unique with it, when I watched a high school perform the exact same show the year before and everyone hated on them saying it wasn't unique at all, but because Cadets did it all of a sudden it was unique and amazing.
Ivory Brigade
ctxbd
While I agree that Hopkins lacks some professionalism in some instances over the last couple of seasons, that's no reason to hate on the organization itself, most of my animosity there is directed towards him rather than the membership and the Cadets as a whole, they don't deserve that. I rather loved Side by Side, I thought it was a very interesting and unique way of trying to blend and create something new from multiple forefronts musically and visually. Even if you don't like the shows themselves, their hornline and percussion have been on fire recently, no denying that. It's just a matter of when they decide to pick and execute a design that wins. This years seems about as ambitious as the last few odd number years, and is at risk of gaining some resentment due to the presence of the narration throughout as it is planned, we'll see if it pays off.

Current thoughts on what I expect in 2014 as far as the top 5 goes: (copying what I said on DCP)

Blue Devils after a non championship year come out firing on absolutely all cylinders, so it'll be hard to beat them See 2009 and 2012. They have a formula, staff consistency, and talent that will not fail them any time soon.

Crown is coming off of a championship season, so I'm not sure what is going to happen. Either it's going to be they found their niche and they will go on a run for a few years or they will be good, but it just doesn't click. Hope the drums keep improving, thought they were stronger in 2013 as compared to 2012. Front ensemble was fantastic.

Bluecoats, I want so badly for them to find what has and hasn't worked the last few years, and do everything that worked at 1 time. I feel like the issue has boiled down to 2 things, in my unprofessional opinion that probably doesn't mean a thing. Visual and General Effect. Guard isn't bad, visual isn't bad, shows aren't bad, but when you have top 4 brass and percussion, that doesn't really cut it. They need to be GREAT. Fix the technique, get the guard a little better, and that's all good. Another issue I have, is the front halves of their shows the last few year, Creep in 2011, Filet and Flume in 2012, the intro and City life in 2013 are all absolutely fantastic, but by the closer it really feels like they are winging it in the show concept. And I remember at the last two theatre casts in June Cesario saying that exact thing. They are usually better by finals, but not completely fixed. You can't have the show start off with a huge bang and go out with a fizzle, if anything it should be the other way around, but it should be the whole show. The Hymn of Axicom piece they have announced, I guarantee, will be one of the best moments of the year, if not THE moment, but so was Creep. And that show finished 7th. I think the meaning behind that piece is a huge hint to the show theme, which could be EPIC, so please don't let this opportunity slip by. Have that amazing pinnacle moment in the show, but don't let that be all we remember from it.

Then there's SCV. Who has gone 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th the last four years. The dream team of a staff and the talent they've gotta be attracting lends me to think they'll medal, easily. Just keep doing what you've been doing, and you're set.

Cadets, will be talented. No doubt. Show theme could work, or backfire. They do patriotic very well, but I hope the narration works. Not at all sure where this will go.

So my top 5:

1st - Carolina Crown
2nd - Blue Devils
3rd - Bluecoats, I'm going off of my gut here. Purely. ONLY 3rd if this show is as good as I think it's going to be. If it's another good moment without consistency throughout the production show, Phantom and Cavaliers could do some damage.
4th - Santa Clara Vanguard, more realistically top 3, but like I said, taking a chance with Bluecoats.
5th - Cadets, because I have no idea.
Stradivarius
I just hope coats and crown are 2 of the top 3. BD can and will medal so it's more likely that BD will be on top. Myself beingna HUGE crown fan I hate to admit it but bd is gonna be back with guns blazing
12 years later
cire
BD will be going out to win.

77 won
78 lost
79 and 80 won
81 lost
82 won
95 lost
96 and 97 won
98 lost
99 won
08 lost
09 and 10 won
11 lost
12 won
13 lost
14 will win

Crown got lucky... there will be no way they can repeat with a subpar drumline.
Stradivarius
Its about the time in the cycle where bd wins two in a row then loses, missing the threepeat, then wins again
12 years later
cire
pretty much
Stradivarius
cire just agreed with me... lol what?
12 years later
ctxbd
I'd count BD in the running pretty much without a doubt, their streak of excellence and consistency since 2007 is just astonishing. Shows what staff consistency, finding a design style the membership can master, and pure talent can do. The only show I can't say I've enjoyed in some way was 2013, and I still can't deny that they were incredible. It wouldn't surprise me to see some mix ups from the norm we've come to know as far as the top 6 goes in the recent past, the closeness of the top 4 this previous year and some staff changes with the Bluecoats and Cavaliers makes me think that this year could be very interesting. Crowns drums in 2013 were miles ahead of 2012 in my opinion, some staff adjustments there this year make me think they'll continue to improve and become less and less of a weak spot, coming off a championship could do great things for them. I'm thinking another BD Crown showdown is on it's way, regardless of past trends. Vanguard and Bluecoats are on my radar, Vanguard because of their 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th place rising finishes each year since 2010 due to their absolute dream team staff and Bluecoats because of their changes in the visual department, which is what has been their Achilles heal in recent years. Boston took on a much more mature show design with a higher level of difficulty last year and seems to be taking a step forward as an organization, excited to see where they land.