gcurrier
i love the fan network but nothing is like a live show
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
Drummantx
Boston Crusaders show is pretty great musically. Blows Phantom Regiments standstill out of the water in the design department.
DBC - 1st Place Season 5 Division 1
MB - 1st Place Season 5 Division 1
CG - 1st Place Season 5 Division 1
DL - 1st Place Season 5 Division 1
gcurrier
I was thinking the same thing. Now boston didn't have weather to deal with but it sounded pretty tight to me! Interesting show, can't wait to see it on the field. Love the use of Alexander Nevsky!

gcurrier
Thought I had a Blue Devil link but was already down. Crossmen had a nice show and it feels top 12 bound but as expected, pretty dirty right now

gcurrier
Crown looked pretty epic to me!

cire
Crown's music sounded technical when they actually played. The rest of them they had some crazy leg twitch going on. and it only ended when I turned it off.
Nakoda: "im gonna slap russ with his own balls after the game"
Stradivarius
Such bias. Wow.
12 years later
Jhawk
Have any of you heard the Colt's show yet?
Ivory Brigade
cjf20
@Jhawk, dark side of the rainbow
Drum Corps:
The Royal Crusaders
Marching Band:
The Jamestown High School Marching Band
Winter guard:
Spirit Independent
Indoor Drumline:
Pride of Pittsburgh

Founder of BoA
cire
Strad.. the leg thing has been done so much by a ton of corps.. Crown is doing it excessively.. everywhere. Soooo much "body movement".. they don't need it. Their hornline is great, they should focus on what they are good at. Maybe they are trying to hide the fact that their marching and drumline aren't that good, but it's still early in the season if they practiced more on marching and drill and not so much leg flapping and "movement" they would probably look a lot cleaner.

Bias? no.. I would say the same thing about BD if that was the case. and in fact, I have before.
gcurrier
and BD not "marching" but "running" holy crap a visual friend stopped talking to me when a group of us said that wasnt our thing--not that its not artistic, aprropiate etc--just that we dont actually appreciate it...so i am sure he would equally flip if we said something about the leg thing LOL

for what its worth Cire, for the first time in awhile I am very excited to see BD...show has a TON of potential!

However from the looks of it Crown isnt just going away--honestly--not biased LOL

also can anyone say DIRTY field--my goodness you could hardly see them sometimes with the dirt flying LOL

Drummantx
I posted this on DCP and Micromarching, why not here? Thoughts on Crown's preview last night:

I watched Crown rehearse pre season almost a year ago today, so I feel like I have a good idea of comparing where they are in comparison to last year.

I'll start with some personal criticism's, which there's not a lot of.

- Seems disjointed section to section, which is a typical early season problem and something that can be fixed. (See Phantom 2011).
- Field looks VERY cluttered right now, the sheer amount of equipment is pretty overwhelming. Not sure if that is something they can fix.
- The "Shadow Behind the Iron Sun", aka the car muffler section, was cool, and then it kept going, and going, and going. It honestly lost a little bit of momentum for me.
- There were two things that kinda bugged me. The lofting of the Frisbee, which just looked like they were chucking them, not really floating like a Frisbee should. And the trampolines, hope they have more planned there because they did not add too much to me. They just kinda jumped on them for a minute and got off. What they said before the show has me hopeful that more will be added.

The Positives:

- Obviously the brass, I mean come on. I don't even need to say anything.
- Drill design seems more interesting than last year, the closer was really cool in this regard.
- Color Guard seems very strong, personally love the choice of uniform and flags.
- Percussion is not even comparable to last year at this time, they'll score MUCH better this year!
- LOVED the "Space Oddity" intro, thought it really set up the mood for the show.
- Opener very strong, ballad gorgeous...and:
- HOLY COW that closer! I loved it, really got that coming home feeling, and they brought it in. Having listened to the source music, there are that many notes in it. They're not just playing notes for notes sake here, it's all in the originals.

If they can keep improving the percussion, work out the transitions and weave the show together more, and make the field appear less cluttered, I'll be 100% all over it and it'll probably be my favorite Crown show. Personally enjoy this one a lot more than when I saw them rehearse live last year, which I enjoyed quite a bit. Looking like another strong season for Crown, I say top 3 for sure. Will it be enough to hold off The Cadets and Blue Devils, and maybe another corps or two? We'll see. But I personally really enjoyed that VERY much! If they make the right design changes, definitely a contender.
gcurrier
nice review--I cant disagree but totally expected some things that would "need improvement". After this many years watching drum corps I have learned what you see now--what you see a month from now and what you see at finals is so very different. i liked the Frisbee idea as it looks like shooting stars to me--i agree it needs more--but the idea is there. The trampolines--if they arent doing more they should remove them LOL however its so obvious they had other things that needed to get done first.

Jhawk
I know what the show is I was just wondering if anyone had heard them play it yet.
Ivory Brigade
Drummantx
So I have now seen the Bluecoats, and that show is everything I could have wanted and more. WOW.
gcurrier
Awesome! I have been anxiously awaiting their show

Stradivarius
If both the Bluecoats and Crown medal this year I am going to be one VERY happy drum corps fan
12 years later
gcurrier
I am trying to go in with no preconceived notion of where corps will be or end up this year--but for tonights show it seemed pretty straight forward UNLESS Cavies or Phantom really pull off something big or Cadets are as weak as rumored (which i doubt).

cire
I heard Cadets have a young corps this year as well, but in all honesty you can NEVER count at the Cadets.