Login Create Account
CLASS new
FastForward
gcurrier,

Color Guard is fine if you know the FMA system parameters ... LOL !!!
Corps: Spectrum Force
Band: Full Spectrum
Guard: Light Spectrum
Drumline: Rythmic Spectrum

BoD for MAoMA and NWD
Founder of CGA
Director of FastForward, Inc.
Stradivarius
I am not doing any math lol. I rehearsed every caption the exact same all season to try and keep it balanced. It just came down to the fact that I got screwed by the randomness of the system lol. However the thing that sucks is that it happened to me the very first time I get a chance at gold...
12 years later
gcurrier
It's not fine. It's annoying
Chairman/Founder CLASS; INSPIRE! President, ENCORE

Nemesis-33X World Drum Corps Champ
Marching Knights-48X World Band Champ
The Knight Guard-36X Wrld Guard Champ
KnightDrum-60X Wrld Perc Champ
Stradivarius
Yes it is very annoying... You should not have to NOT rehearse in order to win... That is just ridiculous.
12 years later
gcurrier
i told the kids to go out and party it up today!!! lol

FastForward
Strad,

The system is not random when it comes to achieving a perfect score of 100. The reality is that if you reach a maximum score in all captions prior to Finals you will end up with a regressive score (Also, it is important to note that a perfect score in any caption prior to Pre-Lims through Finals is not rewardrd positively by FMA). If you look at the Season 37 Color Guard scores you will notice that from pre-Lims on the Two groups that achieved a perfect score of 100 did not max out all captions at once. This shows that in Color Guard a group can achieve a Max score in some captions when receiving a score in Pre-Lims & Semi's. However, the final max score should not be achieved until Finals night in at least one caption.

Math will play the ultimate role in determining your ability to achieve a 100. If you just want to keep practicing the same way from Day 1 until the end of a season then you will keep ending up with a sub-optimal result.

BoD for MAoMA and NWD
Founder of CGA
Stradivarius
That is the flaw lol. There should not be any perfect scores. The randomness of the system causes the score to randomly tick up or down. When you reach a perfect score, the score can do nothing but tick down. THAT is the issue. When you have no ability to do anything about it. One should not have to do ANY math to rehearse a group. No corps EVER simply stopped rehearsing so as to not peak early. They practice hard all season. You should be able to practice hard all season here, too. There is a flaw, FastForward. The flaw needs to be fixed. That is what I am getting it lol.

I am basically whining that I am not in first like an elitist Blue Devil :P jk but really though I should be getting gold this season and this flaw is going to take my one chance away from me...
12 years later
FastForward
Strad,

I hear what you are saying but I adjusted my overall rate of practice early on to adjust for a more even climb in score. I could have probably gained another 1 to 2 points earlier in Season 38 but I realized that this would only lead to a potential issue later in the season.

By the way, I have officially maxed out all of my Color Guard staff as of the beginning of Season 38 & I should see a level 20 Challenge/Show Design level in season 39. This will require a slight modification to my rehearsal schedule in Season 39 as a level increase typically amounts to a 1.5 point increase in the beginning score of any given season.

Haste makes waste ... Don't over hype a score early in a season & you will have many chances for a Gold medal ... Even if more than 1 Group get's that Gold medal ... By virtue of ending in a tie !!!

BoD for MAoMA and NWD
Founder of CGA
corndogshuffle
Posting from my fancy new smartphone. Aww yeah.
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
22x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-120
gcurrier
Congrats lol

ZombieRaptor1
It's quite disappointing to miss finals by 0.015
Fixed Arrow - Drum Corps
Ronald Reagan - Marching Band
Facepalm - Color Guard
Chrome Thunder - Drumline

Crossmen '15 Above and Beyond
Crossmen '16 Continuum
ASCoasters
I'm about a point down but I'm with you, I think I've gotten into finals every season with my drum corps. so far except for this one. I've been swamped with band so whatta you going to do. I'll be back in it next season :)

It's also really interesting how much better the competition was this season, check out my group description for Red Hand- http://www.fantasymarchingarts.com/profile/4356/c

I beat my high score record yet I didn't make finals this season, and last season I came 9th.
Go here to check out spreadsheet of stats for each of my groups!

https://goo.gl/zgFLmJ
JShuler
Well, cire knocked me out of finals. I'll be back next season for MAoMA.
ZombieRaptor1
You're the director of Red Hand ASCoasters? Our corps have been neck and neck all season. I've been busy with band as well, our season ended this Tuesday. But hey, 5th at Texas 6A UIL State? I ain't even mad. :p
Fixed Arrow - Drum Corps
Facepalm - Color Guard

Crossmen '16 Continuum
ASCoasters
Haha nice! We have been very close and it's been an interesting season! I can't wait to see what happens in season 39. My band season will be done next weekend because we're going to BOA Grand Nats in Indianapolis so I'll have all of the time in the world after that to work on Red Hand. I'm just hoping I don't fall behind during pre-season because of it!

ZombieRaptor1
Man, I remember going to Grand Nats freshman year, was an awesome experience, placed 11th I think. Have a great time.
Fixed Arrow - Drum Corps
Facepalm - Color Guard

Crossmen '16 Continuum
Kiwidrummer
ASCoasters, wow man, personal best and just out of Finals. I do feel for ya. You are right, while the high score is on par with last season, the overall quality of corps has gone up this season. This year the finalists go into tomorrow night's championship with a spread of less than 4 points. Last season we had finalists with scores under 80. If you look over the entire semi scores, there are no large gaps. Quite impressive for all corps in DII.

On a personal note, it has been awesome competing against you over the past two seasons. With the current situation, you may be in a good position for next season. Keep up the good work and all the best for the next.

Jim Helsel
Aftershock NZ Productions
Aftershock NZ: CLASS
Aftershock NZ Indoor Percussion: PERC (Founder)
Aftershock NZ PAS: ENCORE
Pandemonium NZ: LEGS
ASCoasters
These seasons have been very fun :^) Even though for both of them I ended up falling back in the end haha, I hope to fight it out with you in D1 sometime soon!

gcurrier2
Good luck to all corps in finals tonight and our list of CLASS Finalists!

Several CLASS corps edged out of finals in Division 2 but Devil Crusaders look like they are a solid medalist position in a VERY TIGHT Division 2 field!

In Division 1 we have 7 corps back in the top 12 with Lexington Legends, Swiss Regiment. Leviathan, Nemesis and Corps IBEX all having solid years, but with Carolina Royals once again in a solid silver position and Bluecoats poised to once again take it all!
CLASS Member and Knight Org Family
Leviathan-1X Div I 1X Div II Drum Corps Champ
Onachus-3X Div II 1X Div III Band Champ
Tarasque-2X Div II 1X Div III Guard Champ
Kraken-1X Div II 1X Div III Drum
corndogshuffle
Made my first submission from outside the eastern time zone today... Don't know how you westcoasters deal with this!
***FMA Hall of Fame***
2x DC Gold 116, 119
3x DL Gold 116, 118, 119
6x MB Gold 28-30, 46, 116, 119
22x CG Gold 27-31, 34, 36, 39, 45-47, 53-54, 70, 87, 88, 115-120